Ada County Marriage License

After "I Do"Marriage License


Ada County Recorder’s Office
Courthouse Building, First Floor, Room 1207
200 West Front Street
Boise, Idaho 83702
(208) 287-6840

Office Hours

Monday through Friday
8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., including the lunch hour
Closed on state holidays
Both parties must appear together.

No appointment is necessary.

Blood tests are not required. Idaho Code 32-412A requires both parties to read an AIDS information sheet and sign the Marriage License Affidavit.

Cost of Marriage License is $30 cash only (price includes mailing of certified copy)

Applicants 16 through 17 years of age must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian*. The applicant must present one of the following four:

1. Original birth certificate or certified copy;
2. Current driver’s license;
3. Passport; or
4. State-issued identification card.

Parent or legal guardian to complete the following:

click to download – Affidavit of Consent to Marriage of Minor

(If Affidavit of Consent is notarized, parent/legal guardian need not be present)

*Legal guardian must supply a certified copy of their appointment of guardianship.


Applicants under 16 years of age need a court order


Do you accept a credit/debit card?
No, we accept cash only. There is an ATM in the building.

Do I need to be a resident of Idaho to obtain a marriage license?
No; however, with an Idaho State Marriage License, you must get married in Idaho.

Is there a waiting period before using the license?
No, you may get married the same day.

Can I use this Marriage License in another state?
No, an Idaho State Marriage License is only valid in Idaho.

When will the Marriage License expire?
There is no expiration date on the license. If not returned within a year, please contact Vital Statistics at (334-5980).

When we receive the Marriage License, are we married?
No, an authorized clergy member, judge, or other designated official, i.e., mayor or governor, must perform the ceremony.

Are marriage ceremonies performed in the clerk’s office?
No, you may contact a judge to make an appointment for the same day or for the future. A list of judges is available at the Recorder’s Office.

Who is authorized to solemnize a marriage ceremony in Idaho?

Vital Statistics requires, in order to record the license, that the officiant be authorized under Idaho Code Section 32-303. Authorized officiants must be able to perform marriages in the State of Idaho. Those who can solemnize marriages include:
· Justice of the Supreme Court, current & retired
· Appeals Judge, current & retired
· District Judge, current & retired
· Governor, current & former
· Magistrate of the District Court, current & retired
· Mayors of Cities, current
· Federal Judge, current
· Tribal Judge, current
· Lieutenant Governor, current
· Priest or Minister of the Gospel of any denomination or faith

Is my last name automatically changed after the ceremony?
No, you must present a certified copy of the Marriage License to both the Social Security Office and the Department of Motor Vehicle. (A certified copy of your Marriage License will be mailed to your current address after the Recorder’s Office receives the bottom section from the Officiant.


5 thoughts on “Ada County Marriage License

  1. I want to get married this saturday.After getting my marriage license friday, how and where would i go to do a courthouse quicky wedding, to say our I Do’s??

      • Jon, how much do you charge? We need a SUPER quick ceremony on the 12th. Not a lot of blah blah blah (as one of our 8 year olds said ((however we TOTALLY need to find a way for you to sneak in saying Blah Blah Blah in your best vampire impression -Hotel Trabsylvania)

  2. Jon, how much do you charge? This would be a SUPER quick ceremony and one funny request, because #4 child made a funny statement that we now have to reference.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s